In Search of the Objective Reality

My Search of the Objective Reality

Sunday, January 30, 2005

Pondering the Reality...

Since this blog is about the reality, let me start from what I understand the reality is.

The word reality is derived from the root of realm, referring to a kingdom or a plane of existence. Related to this is an adjective 'real', which is used to describe if something belongs to particular reality. Right here we encounter a peculiar problem, namely, who decides whether something is real, or belonging to particular reality or not? Well, it seems to me that in order to better understand the issue at hand, it is necessary to introduce the key part of any reality, that is the observer. I happen to believe and this is my working hypothesis, that it is the observer that defines what is real and what is not, consequently determining the perimeters of particular reality. In other words the observer determines the reality by an act of observing. If there were no observer, how would the reality be determined? Hard to tell, or at least that's what seems to me.

Now, a number of interesting questions arise out of such a hypothesis. What if the observer is unable to observe certain things, thus they are not real to the observer? What happens to the reality of such an observer? Does it imply that there is more than one reality? The one determined by the act of incomplete observing and the one that includes all the things observed by the observer and the ones unobserved. What if we have more than one observer or the observer is not singular, to complicate the issue even more? Does it imply that there are many realities? Or there is one reality and the observer or observers can observe only parts of this one reality?

These are valid questions and I will try to address them in my next post.

For now, I offer them to reader's perusal.

Oli

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home